Thursday, March 4, 2010

Potty Training

*warning* this post talks a lot about poop. If you don't like poop...don't read it.

Potty training has been my least favorite parenting experience thus far. If your kid isn't ready, it isn't going to happen. Period. Eden has been wanting to try try off and on for months now. A few weeks ago she decided that she was serious and she wanted to wear panties all the time. I was super excited and she did great....except for one thing. Pooping. Every time she had to go she would say she was scared to poop on the potty and ask for a diaper. So we have been playing that little game for some time. She wears panties and pees on the potty but when she has to poop she runs screaming away from the potty.

Well yesterday we made a breakthrough. For whatever reason, she decided to poop on the potty. And she did it and she was very excited. Of course I was super excited as well. I jumped up and down and cheered for her and promised to take her to Chuck E. Cheese and jumped up and down some more and did a little dance, etc. You get the idea. Eden was beaming. She was so proud of herself. So we continued to make a big deal out of it all through dinner and getting ready for bed, and she just ate up all the attention. Then as I was getting her pajamas on I told her to go use the potty before bed. She went in and sat on the toilet and then I hear "Hey Mom, come here." So I go in and Eden says, "Hey mom! Watch this!" And then she poops on the potty again. Then she says "Ok, now jump up and down!"

Apparently all she needed was a willing audience to fawn over her pottying performance and this potty training thing would have been done months ago. If only I would have known sooner....

3 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

hahahaha...you're such a great cheerleader! Eden cracks me up!

Sunnie said...

oh i hate potty training. with elle it was torture! i learned my lesson that if they aren't ready and you keep pushing, you will be potty training for like a year! it was no fun! jada and mya both had poop issues (i can't remember about elle- she may have, too??). for whatever reason, they don't love it at first. eventually it all works though. they just have to be ready. and the more you push, the more frustrated you will be. i completely understand.

Bonky's Mom said...

at least she makes her expectations very clear...LOL : )